metabolites, such as acetyl carnitine and lipoic acid. This restores mitochondrial function to a large extent after just a few weeks. It also lowers oxidants to the level of a young rat and increases ambulatory activity. It’s really amazing. They become lively old rats. They get up and do the macarena. I’d like to get that into people.”
* Reactive oxygen species are the entire class of highly reactive molecules derived from the metabolism of oxygen. Scientific interest in reactive oxygen species and oxidative stress is growing very rapidly. A Medline search on these terms brings up 177 citations between 1976 and 1984. Between 1996 and the present, the figure increased to 5,756.4
- Taub J, Lau JF, Ma C, Hahn JH, Hoque R, Rothblatt J, Chalfie M. A cytosolic catalase is needed to extend adult lifespan in C. elegans daf-C and clk-1 mutants. Nature May 1999;399:162-6.
- Beckman K, Ames B. The free radical theory of aging matures. Physiolog Rev April 1998;78(2):547-81.
- Ames B. Micronutrients prevent cancer and delay aging. Toxicol Lett 1998;102-103:5-18.
- Gilbert D, Colton C, eds. Reactive Oxygen Species in Biological Systems: An Interdisciplinary Approach.Plenum, New York, 1999.